There are several reasons why an amputation might be considered medically necessary, from serious infections to severe injury. However, many amputations occur due to the negligence of a doctor or medical professional, and such instances are considered medical malpractice. The lawyers at Cardaro & Peek cannot reverse the actions of a careless doctor, but they can help you or your loved one exercise your legal rights in the state of Maryland.
Causes of Negligent Amputations
Some causes of negligent amputations include but are not limited to:
- The wrong limb or body part was removed during surgery. In some cases, a surgeon misreads the chart and mistakenly removes the wrong limb or body part. This particular situation is common with patients undergoing emergency surgery due to a vehicle collision.
- The doctor failed to prevent the formation of blood clots. If not treated immediately, conditions caused by blood clots (Thrombosis) can prevent the flow of blood through the circulatory system. In this event, an amputation must occur.
- Infections were left untreated. Infections can worsen if left untreated or diagnosed, and amputation might become necessary.
Victims of Medical Malpractice
If you or a loved one lost a limb or body party due to medical malpractice, there are several steps you can take to ensure that the negligent party is held responsible.
- Take notes. Even with the assistance of an experienced legal team, pursuing a medical malpractice lawsuit can be a stressful experience. During this time, it’s important that you keep documents of everything, even if the information doesn’t seem essential at the time. Record important dates, such as when you experienced medical malpractice and when you sough legal help.
- Ask questions. You deserve answers. Don’t be afraid to ask questions wherever you go, whether you’re meeting with medical practitioners or your legal team.
- Work with a medical malpractice attorney. Your health is important, and you don’t want to leave your case to any legal team. Work with an experienced team of medical malpractice lawyers to ensure that you win your lawsuit and retrieve necessary damages.
Contact The Law Offices of Cardaro & Peek, LLC Today
The lawyers at Cardaro & Peek, LLC have the experience and resources necessary to investigate and litigate all types of medical claims throughout Maryland and Washington D.C. Cardaro & Peek, LLC has medical personnel on staff and has access to nationally recognized, board-certified physicians and other experts, to assist in the investigation, analysis, and prosecution of all types of medical malpractice claims. If you or a loved one have experienced malpractice, give us a call at 410-752-6166. Please visit our website www.cardarolaw.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn for more information.