All surgeries are considered major, whether a patient is undergoing an appendectomy or a gastric bypass. Patients and their loved ones trust the surgeons and medical professionals in charge of their care to adhere to a certain standard of care to ensure the patient’s safety. Unfortunately, surgical errors occur in hospitals throughout Maryland every year. In some cases, surgical errors are considered medical malpractice.
Why Surgical Errors Occur
There are many reasons why an error may occur during surgery, but only when the surgeon’s treatment falls below the standard of care is the error considered medical malpractice. Common reasons for surgical errors include:
- Lack of sufficient training. A surgeon may lack the skills to perform a certain surgery successfully, and an error occurs as a result.
- Lack of planning. Surgeons and medical professionals on staff need to be well-prepared for surgery, including previewing likely complications. If the surgeon or staff fail to perform their due diligence, errors can occur.
- Lack of communication. When a surgeon fails to communicate with a member of their staff and the patient suffers as a result, this could be considered medical malpractice.
- Physical exhaustion. Medical professionals are required to work long shifts, yet still expected to perform efficiently.
- Drug/Alcohol Use. The life of a medical professional or surgeon can be stressful, and some turn to drug or alcohol use to cope. If an error occurs due to a surgeon’s drug or alcohol use, you may have a medical malpractice case.
Types of Surgical Errors
Common types of surgical errors include but are not limited to injuring a nerve during surgery, administering too much medication or anesthesia, performing an incorrect incision, operating on the wrong part of the body, and leaving a piece of surgical equipment inside of a patient.
Do you believe you or a loved one fell victim to a surgical error? It’s important to talk to an experienced attorney as soon as possible.
Contact The Law Offices of Cardaro & Peek, LLC Today
The lawyers at Cardaro & Peek, LLC have the experience and resources necessary to investigate and litigate all types of medical claims throughout Maryland and Washington D.C. Cardaro & Peek, LLC has medical personnel on staff and has access to nationally recognized, board-certified physicians and other experts, to assist in the investigation, analysis, and prosecution of all types of medical malpractice claims. If you or a loved one have experienced malpractice, give us a call at 410-752-6166. Please visit our website www.cardarolaw.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn for more information.