Maryland residents trust nursing home staff members to care for their loved ones with diligence and compassion. Unfortunately, too many nursing home residents are neglected and even abused as a result of poor or insufficient care. Only a skilled Baltimore nursing home negligence lawyer can assess your case and help you understand your rights. Learn how to take action with the help of Cardaro & Peek.
Nursing Home Negligence
According to the Nursing Home Abuse Center, a study of 2,000 nursing facility residents indicated an abuse rate of 44 percent and a neglect rate of 95 percent. There are various types of nursing home neglect including but not limited to:
- Medical neglect. Medical neglect occurs when the nursing facility fails to attend to a resident’s concerns adequately. Examples include failure to care for diabetes, bedsores, infections, mobility issues, and cognitive disorders.
- Neglecting basic needs. This form of nursing home negligence occurs when the facility fails to provide the resident with necessities such as water, food, or sanitary bedding.
- Emotional neglect. Emotional neglect pertains to staff members who repeatedly ignore nursing home residents or leave the resident alone for extended periods of time.
The Warning Signs
Identifying nursing home negligence is not always easy, as the warning signs can be subtle depending on the type of neglect. It’s very important to listen to nursing home residents and to be sensitive to any behavioral changes that might occur during their time at the facility. Common warning signs of nursing home neglect include but are not limited to:
- Bedsores and frequent infection as a result of malnutrition.
- Rapid or sudden weight loss or gain.
- Serious bedsores as a result of neglect.
- Various injuries, such as bruises, caused by falling.
- Alterations in appearance, personal hygiene, or behavior.
- Environmental hazards in the resident’s living space such as slippery floors or unsafe walkers.
Contact The Law Offices of Cardaro & Peek, LLC Today
The lawyers of Cardaro & Peek, LLC have the experience and resources necessary to investigate and litigate all types of medical claims throughout Maryland and Washington D.C. Cardaro & Peek, LLC has medical personnel on staff and has access to nationally recognized, board-certified physicians and other experts, to assist in the investigation, analysis, and prosecution of all types of medical malpractice claims. If you or a loved one have experienced malpractice, give us a call at 410-752-6166. Please visit our website www.cardarolaw.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn for more information.